MOBILE DEVICE PROTECTIONMore Info & Help
- Use the passcode lock on your smartphone and other devices. This will make it more difficult for thieves to access your information if your device is lost or stolen.
- Log out completely when you finish a mobile banking session.
- Protect your phone from viruses and malicious software, or malware, just like you do for your computer by installing mobile security software.
- Use caution when downloading apps. Apps can contain malicious software, worms and viruses. Beware of apps that ask for unnecessary "permissions."
- Download the updates for your phone and mobile apps.
- Avoid storing sensitive information like passwords or a Social Security Number on your mobile device.
- Contact financial institution immediately if you change your phone number or lose your mobile device.
- Be aware of shoulder surfers. The most basic form of information theft is observation. Be aware of your surroundings especially when you're entering in sensitive information.
- Wipe your mobile device before you donate, sell or trade it using specialized software or using the manufacturer's recommended technique. Some software allows you to wipe your device remotely if it is lost or stolen.
- Beware of mobile phishing. Avoid opening links and attachments in emails and texts, especially from senders you don't know. Be wary of ads (not from your security provider) claiming that your device is infected.
- Watch out for public Wi-Fi. Since public connections aren't very secure, avoid performing banking transactions on a public network. If you need to access your account, try disabling the Wi-Fi and switching to your mobile network.
If you believe you have been victimized by identity theft, we can help. Stop by any Valley National Bank office, contact us online or call our toll free Customer Service Department at 1-800-522-4100. For calls made from outside the U.S., please call 1-973-305-8800.
Also, cyber-liability insurance is available from Masters Coverage Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of Valley National Bank. You can request a free, no obligation quote today by calling Masters toll-free at 1-800-777-6100 or you can fill out the online referral form and one of Masters' insurance specialists will contact you.